BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Greyson's Surgiversary

Today was Greyson's heart surgiversary.  I had a hard time last night knowing that one year ago we were sitting in the hospital 10 days before we were scheduled to because Greyson decided he was done laying around with no energy and wanted to get this surgery over with.  Little did I know at that time that I would be totally surprised at how well he did.  I guess I should have known then to trust him more. ;)  He knows what he needs and I guess he needed to get this surgery out of the way. 

This is what we saw about 2 in the afternoon when we got to see him again.  He did so well and recoevered so quickly. 

I can't even begin to express how thankful I am for his cardiologist, Dr. Rahimi, who looked so terrified when we brought Greyson up the night before with sats in the low 60's.  I thought he was in a bad mood, but later found out from the ultra sound tech that he REALLY worries about his patients like to the point of loosing sleep over it. Dr. Fiore who, with his HUGE hands, got in there and partially repaired Greyson's heart and will do his next surgery probably next summer.  Barb who kept us updated every hour about how Greyson was doing even if there wasn't anything to tell.  We could really tell she cares about her patients and she was so excited to see him in he cafeteria a month later at his post-op check up, she actually got off the phone with someone just to talk to him.  Dr. Bonderant who, although I think he made her a little nervous at times, took excellent care of him back here at home and continues to be his pediatrician.  Greyson is definitely not one of her easy patients, well I guess neither of our kids are.  All of my blog readers, Facebook friends, Heart friends, and local friends and family who prayed for Greyson all day during and after his surgery.  Papa Gary had over 200 emails of people praying for our little guy.  I know that this certainly helped Greyson do so well. 

So has this whole heart thing slowed Greyson down at all?  Absolutely not!  He was walking about a month after his 1st birthday, and talks All.The. Time!  He says so many words and definitely speaks in full sentences months before his sister did.  I wondered when I had him how long it would be before I was living with 2 comedians, well that time is here.  Between the things Addison does and says and the things Greyson does and says I am laughing almost all of the time.  I love the way he says "Yeah."  It doesn't usually matter what you are asking him you get a very enthusiastic YEAH back. 

I'll admit we did a trial run at potty training since Greyson has really showed interest in the potty.  We got him his own big boy potty, complete with musical tunes when he goes in it, and big boy undies and boxer briefs like daddy, yeah I just tol everyone what Nate wears, lol.  The first day he had a few accidents, which I expected, and did manage to go in the potty twice.  It was clear however that he wasn't quite ready for it as he would pee and not even know he had done it.  We will hold off a few months and give it a try again.  Once we can go outside more it will be easier I am sure since he can just go out there, that was one of Addison's favorite things, good thing we live in the country.  I was concerned, however, about his constipation issue.  Ever since he got sick a few months ago he has been constipated all the time, like goes every 2-3 days and when he does it is a big event, complete with screaming, crying, and pushing really hard to get out a golfball size nugget.  I feel terrible for him and had tried prune juice but it either had no effect or the total opposite effect.  I finally called the pediatrician and she suggested we try MiraLax, today is his first day on this new medicine so hopefully it will work out well.

I was telling Nate the other night how tired I am of having an assembly line to make milks for in the morning and now we have added another medicine to Greyson's milk.  I know as far as heart kids go his medicine regiem is nothing, but I hate having to put all the medicine in each kids milk and make sure I get the right milk in the right cup and that each kid gets the correct milk in the morning.  Last night when I was making up Greyson's milk I joked that his cup was half full of medicine before I even got to put milk in it, lol.  He is only on the MiraLax, aspirin, and vitamins plus milk and strawberry poweder.  Addison is only on the poweder from a capsule of antibiotics plus her milk and strawberry poweder but it seems like such an assembly line.  I think the Propranolol one year ago was a little easier then all of this milk business.  Guess we will just get used to it, Greyson will be on at least aspirin for life. 

I'll leave you with some pictures of the kids playing in the yard the other day when it was so nice here.  They had a blast.

















Photobucket

2 comments: